Wednesday 8 June 2016

The art movement of Dadaism

Daddaism first came about in 1916 in Switzerland, this was a reaction to world war 1 and nationalism as this is what many people thought led to the war it was also a reaction to the horror of war They reacted to this by making mockery images and ones that didn't make much sense these images were anti war, these were often made by putting lots of images together in the style of a montage put t was also expressed threw poetry, sculpture and paintings.It was a protest of the horror of the world this can also be looked at a form of expression as it was a rebellion and people expressing their opinions and feelings. It was the first art movement not to focus on creating eye pleasing images however focused on questions on society. It focused on the disgust of social, cultural and political values and dada was designed to be misunderstood and it was the complete opposite of what art stood for.It was designed to insult and provoke sensibilities. I was often used to reflect life however in an extreme and outrageous way.




These images have been created by Hannah Hoch who was a German artist and created photo montages, these are created by placing lots of different photographs together her worked criticised the mass culture of the beauty industry. Her work centred a lot around women and same sex couples. however she did look at mixing female and male bodies in her work. I really like this style of work I feel it is very unique and extremely surreal as it is loads of images placed together to make one big image. I like that the image tell a story without any real meaning. The images are extremely
expressive. I find the find the first image very simple and plain yet it does speak a lot within the image even though it is only 4 images placed together these images look like they have been cut out of magazines or newspaper. The colours in this image really go well together as bluey black and brown really complement each other. I also think the rustic edges to the images add to the effect



 
 I really like this image as I fee it says a lot about modern day and the beauty industry even though it is an old image. The image is simple but I prefer her minimalist work than her really loud and busy work as I feel her simple work is easier to read. This image is made up of 3 images yet the image has a very clear message. I feel this image wants to portray labelling in the society and the beauty industry. I really like the way she has layered these images but they are cut out really finely unlike some of her other work this links in with the fact the beauty industry is very precise and a lot of perfection is featured within the beauty industry. I also like the shades in these images as they are quite pastel almost like a polaroid.




 I really like this image as I feel it as been place together really well the way the eye is big and so it fill the hair making it look like a face. I really like the way the eyelashes on the eyes are really bold as this adds texture to the images. I also like the rustic edges on the hair. I feel this image speaks about beauty within society and how women are portrayed in the media however it has taken an approach that makes it seem really outrageous and exaggerates each feature. Almost like it is taking the mick out of the media and beauty industry.





 These images were created by Raoul Hausmann who was originally from Vienna however moved to Berlin at the age of 14 his farther was a painter and I feel this may of lead to his creativity as he influenced it off his farther. I really like this piece of work as it is done in black and white I feel this makes the images blend better together as you don't get the different shades of printing within some of the images. I don't really understand the image as I feel it very surreal however I do like the images are framed and layered together this gives the image a lot of dimension to the image. the compositional rule of rule of thirds is used within the image which makes the image more eye catching I like the fact this technique has been use even though this is a man made image it shows he has really thought about placing the images in the photomontage.




I find this image very strange and surreal and almost ugly, I really do not like the colours in this image as I feel they make the images really big and gaudy however I understand this was needed to make the image stand out. This image again doesn't really make sense however I feel it was something to do with the horror of war it did this by juxtaposing the images and almost mocking the war by making these outrageous images and I feel the face of the solider reflects on how they felt when they came out of the war as most suffered from shell shock.The images themselves has been really thought about when being placed on top of each other and they do work really well together. I like the way the eyes and mouth have been used in this as they look really outrageous and gaudy.These images are really surreal and I feel Dadaism was very much like surrealism as it was so outrageous and nobody quite understood the meaning behind it.

No comments:

Post a Comment